Search This Blog

Sunday, December 16, 2012

NHL Head games

 

1971/72 Colgate Heads

 

 

 

Referred to as either “heads” or “busts”, each are approximately 1 1/4" in height with a base of 7/8" , with the player ‘s last name printed on the back of the base. These were made of a cream coloured or beige plastic.Of note, an error variation was present in the set, with the Norm Ullman head/bust being released with a proper (Ullman) and incorrect spelling (Ullmann) on it. The promotion was carried out over five months during the winter of 1972, with the heads/busts being issued in series of four in differing sizes of Colgate toothpaste.

 

Checklist in alphabetical order

 

1. Yvan Cournoyer

2. Marcel Dionne (error - the head is really Stan Mikita)

3. Ken Dryden

4. Paul Henderson

5. Guy Lafleur

6. Frank Mahovlich

7. Richard Martin (short-printed)

8. Bobby Orr

9. Brad Park (short-printed)

10. Jacques Plante

11. Jean Ratelle

12. Derek Sanderson

13. Dale Tallon

14. Walt Tkaczuk

15.Norm Ullman

15 Norm Ullmann

16. Garry Unger 

 

008

So I have  the error Ullmann and not the Ullman. I picked these up at a show in the 80’s for 25 cents a piece. It was not even from a vendor. There was this guy walking around who had bags full of the different heads. Since I liked oddball stuff, I picked up one set.  I guess I should have bought more. I did pick up an extra Orr somewhere but that’s it.

 

Without hockey now, I can show off some of my non card items for my (and I hope, your) viewing pleasure.

1 comment:

  1. I love these heads. The Sanderson one has been on my radar for a while now, but I've just never gotten around to grabbing one.

    Also, it is sort of funny to see that a bust/head is short printed. Heh.

    ReplyDelete