Search This Blog

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Jan 26--Wayne Gretzky


Wayne Gretzky

and not Fred Barrett, Daniel Berthiaume, Rod Dallman, Mike Fountain, Ivan Hlinka, Martin Lauder, Vic Lynn, Dean Malkoc, Dale McCourt, Scott McKay, Billy McNeill, Dan Newman, Frank Nighbor, Alf Skinner, Glen Skov, and Mark Taylor.



A year before he would have been eligible for the NHL draft, 17-year-old Wayne Gretzky signed up with the Indianapolis Racers of the WHA in 1978 for an unprecedented $825,000.

What is there to say that hasn't already been said.
92 goals in one season.
10 scoring titles, seven in the 1980s.
200 points four times in five seasons.
Four Stanley Cups in five seasons.
NHL MVP nine times in the ’80s.
… He ended his NHL career with 62 scoring records, 894 goals, 1,963 assists and 2,857 points; also, he has nine 50-goal seasons, 15 100-point seasons and career records for playoff goals (122), assists (260) and points (382).


Gretzky played ten games on his birthday during his NHL career, getting at least a point each game:

YearOpponentGA P
1980vs. Toronto022
1982vs. St. Louis112
1983 vs. Toronto213
1985vs.Pittsburgh314
1989vs. Vancouver011
1991vs. Vancouver325
1993vs. San Jose022
1995vs. St. Louis101
1998vs. Washington011
1999vs. Washington033





This is a photo of the winners in a contest to the 1988  Wayne Gretzky Celebtity Tennis Classic. Check out the Philadelphia Flyer golf shirt and socks I'm wearing. At least the late Peter Zezel was impressed by my choice. It was taken by the tournament people and sent by courier. The following summer, Wayne and Janet were at a Brantford Red Sox game (Intercounty League baseball) which he was part owner of. Luckily I lived nearby, grabbed my photo and sharpie and got this signed IP. There was a public school graduation going on across the street from the stadium and some of the kids came over and got autographs. I saw one kid get the cast on his arm signed. One signature never to be seen again. . It was a pretty good day as I was behind the scenes and had an all access pass. Got a couple of Alyssa Milano signatures on teen magazine pictures. Peter Zezel. Kirk Muller. Usually when I was at these events, you were behind the fence and you got whomever came over to sign. This was way better. One of my better IP days. And with my arm around?? Janet, what could top  that.

2 comments:

  1. I simply wished to appreciate you yet again. I am not sure the things that I would've made to happen without those thoughts provided by you relating to such concern. It previously was a very frightful issue in my position, however , witnessing your expert technique you processed it made me to weep with delight. I'm happier for the assistance and in addition hope that you realize what a powerful job you have been doing training people with the aid of your web page. I am sure you have never come across all of us.
    Semikolon Rectangular Organizer Boxes, Set of 3, Red (3550004)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing excellent informations. Your web site is so cool. I am impressed by the details that you have on this blog. It reveals how nicely you perceive this subject. Bookmarked this web page, will come back for extra articles. You, my friend, ROCK! I found just the info I already searched everywhere and just couldn't come across. What a great web site.
    La Canadienne Women's Felicia Boot

    ReplyDelete