Search This Blog

Monday, March 7, 2011

The Flying Fathers

The Flying Fathers were a group of hockey playing Roman Catholic priests who  played against local teams to raise money for different charities. One such event I attended was the Flying Fathers versus the Maple Leaf Oldtimers. This was March 18th, 1984 at Maple Leaf Gardens.This was in support of the Charlie Conacher Cancer Research Fund. If you don't know anything about Charlie, good read below.
http://www.legendsofhockey.net/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/LegendsMember.jsp?mem=p196102&page=bio&list=#photo

 They brought a Harlem Globetrotter type of entertainment to the game.

Program from the event autographed in blue ballpoint pen by Fathers Jack Costello and Vaughan Quinn.


Roster page inside program. Now just think, these guys were playing for the Leaf Oldtimers 27 years ago. I don't remember the score or too much about the game. I now I must have gotten some cards autographed but again, details are sketchy. I do have in my collection autographs from all the Leafs listed here except Armstrong and Edwards. (even Bobby Orr, listed as a linesman) . Good cause, fun hockey and autographs=Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment