Search This Blog

Saturday, April 30, 2011

April 30

The end of my first full month trying to post autographed items from a former/current NHL'er whose birthday falls on that date. By my count, I'm 22/30 for April. I'm thinking this is pretty good. It's not like this was my project to obtain a card for every day. Just kind of thought I'd try it and see what happens. I started by posting birthday greetings to my daughters and it evolved from there. Also included is a little write up on each player. Maybe it is someone you had never heard of and learn a little something about him. I'm going to keep on and see what happens.

So today, we will meet

Dale Rolfe


Dale Rolfe was a forward until he arrived to play junior hockey with the Barrie Flyers of the OHA in 1956. Under the direction of coach Hap Emms, however, his big, lanky frame was moved back to the blueline to serve and protect his future brother-in-law, goaltender Wayne Rutledge.
His most infamous moment came during a playoff game in 1974 against the Philadelphia Flyers. The Flyers were intimidating Ranger players all night. At one point, they were zeroing in on defenseman Brad Park. Rolfe had seen enough. He stepped in to support his defenisve partner when he found himself squared off against Dave "The Hammer" Schultz. Before Rolfe could even react, his knees were already buckling under the weight of a severe beating. None of his Ranger teammates came to his aid.
Rolfe played a total of 509 NHL regular season games with 25 goals, 125 assists and 556 PIM





Received these blue ink signed cards TTM.


1 comment:

  1. From what I understand, the early 1970s Rangers were a pretty awful team. Sad that they wouldn't support one of their own guys in a lopsided match against Schultz, as this was before the third man in rule.

    ReplyDelete