Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

May 9


Today, I couldn't decide on just one birthday to show off. As you know, some days I don't have anything and some days I've had up to four players to choose from. I think when you see what I've chosen, you'll agree that I had to have two today.

First up, the man known as Stevie Y and Stevie Wonder.


Selected in first round
 by Detroit Red Wings 4th overall in the 1983 Draft. Yzerman made his NHL debut in 1983, scoring a goal and also getting his first assist in his first game. He finished the season with 87 points (39 goals which was a new Detroit rookie record), leading all the rest of the Red Wings players. Yzerman scored over 100 for the first time and he did 50 goals during the 87-88 season, and only in 65 games. He was limited to 65 games due to a nasty knee injury, which kept Yzerman off the ice all the way to the play-offs.
He played his entire career with the Detroit Red Wings and retired as the longest-serving captain of any team in NHL history. He was named captain of the Red Wings at the age of 21, and then served as captain until his retirement two decades later. There is much to say about the man but I'll stop here.

CAREER NHL STATISTICS
YearsTeamsGPGATPPIM
1983-2006Detroit1,5146921,0631,755924
CAREER NHL PLAYOFF STATISTICS
YearsTeamsGPGATPPIM
1984-2006Detroit1967011518584

I'll have to look it up but he attended the Wayne Gretzky Celebrity Tennis Tournament in the 80's.


I got these cards signed in blue ink IP. I also got a copy of The Hockey News signed (the one where he is on the front cover holding Gordie Howe's book--Hockey...Here's Howe). I traded that away for an autographed photo of Carlos Delgado some time ago.

Now for the bonus photo.

Archie Wilcox
Archie Wilcox played professional hockey from 1926 until 1935. The 1929-30 season saw Wilcox join the Montreal Maroons of the NHL. He played a full 40-game season, contributing three goals and five assists. As it turns out, that would be his most productive offensive seasonal output of his NHL career. In the same number of games the following year he had four points on two goals and two assists. He suited up for 48 and 47 games in the next two years, respectively, collecting six and 3 points.
Part way through the 1933-34 campaign, Wilcox was traded to the Boston Bruins. He left the Maroons pointless after playing in ten games and managed a single assist in 14 games with the Bruins.
In 1934-35 Wilcox suited up for eight games with the NHL's St. Louis Eagles but was again held pointless.
The final statistics for Archie Wilcox's NHL career read 207 games played, eight goals, 14 assists, 22 points and 158 minutes in penalties.

Somehow, I found an address for him. Wrote him a letter and received t he following.


Blue ink signed index card.

He also included this.



8 x 10 b/w autographed photo. This is probably the earliest autograph from a player that is in my collection.

As I said earlier, I decided to post both. Good choice, I say to myself.

1 comment:

  1. That Archie Wilcox signed photo is truly a treasure. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete