Search This Blog

Thursday, June 23, 2011

June 22--Wednesday morning musings

Computer problems again and some blogger problems too

NHL Board unanimous on Winnipeg sale, relocation


"The Board unanimously approved both the sale of the Atlanta franchise to True North, which is Mark Chipman and David Thomson, and the relocation of Thrashers to Winnipeg," NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said. "Obviously, everybody is sorry and distressed and unhappy that we found ourselves in the circumstance where our franchise was leaving Atlanta. We feel particularly sorry for the fans over there. But obviously, based on the reception that we've gotten, everybody is extremely excited about the opportunities in Winnipeg for our return

The Count didn't look too happy making the announcement but now its official. Until this statement, I thought they would still try to block the move.

Welcome back.






With the draft coming up on Friday, my chance to relate my experience at the 2002 Draft.
The 2002 NHL Entry Draft was held June 22–23 at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto. 291 players were drafted in total: 35 from the OHL; 23 from the QMJHL; 43 from the WHL: 41 from the NCAA; 6 from U.S High Schools and 110 from outside North America.
From my recollection, this was a Saturday-Sunday affair. I had tickets to attend both days. I only had the chance to attend Saturday. Got a few autographs before the draft started as the GM;s scouts and hockey personnel from the teams made their way to the ACC. Rick Ley, Rick Dudley and Bob Nystrom were the ones I remember obtaining. There were a few more but ,again, my memory fails me.

They were giving out Beckett magazines and I had a choice to make on getting it signed. Before the proceedings, both Rick Nash and Jay Bouwmeester were in front of me.


Yep, got me number 3 pick Jay Bouwmeester. IP. Signed with blue sharpie. Still overall a fun day.


No comments:

Post a Comment