Search This Blog

Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Nov 30--Sweeney Schriner

Nov 30
Sweeney Schriner





Dave "Sweeney" Schriner was only a month old when his parents migrated to Calgary from their native Russia.
In 1934-35 the New York Americans offered Schriner a job. Schriner jumped at the chance as the NHL paid fairly well in the midst of the Great Depression.
He would win the Calder Trophy as the NHL rookie of the year in 1935, and lead the NHL in scoring in 1936 and again in 1937. In the summer of 1939, Schriner was traded in a mammoth deal designed to give the Americans the depth they needed to become a better team, and to give Toronto a super star. Toronto traded Buzz Boll, Doc Romnes, Jim Fowler, Murray Armstrong and former super star Busher Jackson to New York all for Schriner. In 484 NHL games, his totals were 201 goals, 204 assists totaling 405 points with 148 PIM.

He was inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame in 1962.


This one was TTM.
Since I didn't have any of his cards, I sent a couple of index cards for him to sign.


He also included this HHOF postcard signed in blue sharpie.

This month I was 23/30 for my birthday project, about 76%. Not too bad.
For the NaBlo Wrimo project, I'm going to fall short of the target 15000 words. It's possible I could have done it if I had no computer problems. Being out of commission for 10 days put a crimp in those plans. I figured I wouldn't be able to catch up so I didn't write a whole lot. Still, I did try to keep updated daily. Heres my final count.

NaBlo Wrimo Daily Count:303words
NaBlo Wrimo Monthly Count: 6240


And tomorrow is December 1 so my 'mo will be leaving my face sometime tonight. I've got to make myself look younger so a nice close shave should do the trick.




1 comment:

  1. Still, blogging 22/30 days is quite an accomplishment. Hopefully, you enjoyed yourself.

    ReplyDelete