Search This Blog

Monday, September 30, 2013

Another Gretzky autograph

Yesterday was the official opening of the Wayne Gretzky Sports Centre. In case you missed it, I wrote about the details in an earlier post here
 

 
T-shirts were given out to volunteers..



 
There was a variety of booths set up, like the Ontario Special Olympics and the Kiwanis Field project.

 
Also in attendance was the Brantford IceCats with their temporary tattoos.
 


 
The AHL Hamilton Bulldogs also had a booth manned by Bulldog employee and Brantford native Kellen. He helped me identify players at a Bulldog practice last year




 
There was a booth for a new local sports magazine start-up. sportsxpress. They are starting a Brantford edition to go along with ones that are now in Hamilton, Kitchener and Waterloo. Sample magazine and trading/business card of one of the coaches.
 





 
The HHOF had a display of Gretzky memorabilia there, sticks, jerseys and trophies.


The Gretzky statue was unveiled.

 I was assigned to watch  the hallway between two of the rinks, near the volunteer room (and drinks and snacks). Before I could go to my position, I was re-assigned. to watch the VIP elevator. This sounded like a better job and maybe an in to the celebrities.


 
This was my post for 6 hours.
 
I had a list of the VIP's who were allowed up the elevator. Everyone else was, as they say, up the creek. Now I'm glad Wayne or Walter didn't try to enter my way as they weren't on the list. Hmm, I wonder what I would have done.
 
So on to the latest addition to my Gretzky autograph collection.
 

 
Here is one from my collection obtained IP during the 80"s.
 

 
And yes, as promised, another Gretzky autograph. Featured is former NHL'er Brent Gretzky.  Now he joins Wayne, Walter and Keith in my Gretzky autograph collection. These were all I could obtain all day.
 
And yes, I had a good time. Talked to some of my neighbours and friends who walked by. I also chatted with people walking by my post.
 


 
And to end the day, was a performance by Canadian R&B singer–songwriter Jully Black. That was my Sunday Sept 29 2013.

Late addition--Seems like Pavel Datsyk was in the house. He wasn't on my list and I don't recall seeing him. Missed opportunity again.


No comments:

Post a Comment